PackageKit Misconceptions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:11:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:02:47 -0400
David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:

> To me, that's totally not what Colin is suggesting. In fact, there are
> things in his mail that actually suggests to *improve* security such
> as replacing, IMO, useless dialogs like "Import this GPG key:
> <hexnumber>" to something more useful (his proposal about timeouts).
> See also my other mail about asking better questions like "Import
> this GPG key: <hexnumber>".

I got from it that he just wants to do away with the question
entirely.  I'm having a hard time figuring out where you guys want to
go.  In one hand you say you don't want dialogs at all that ask people
to think or even respond, it just does things.  On the other you say as
soon as you allow installing software that is outside of the repos we
ship, the jig is up and we shouldn't care about any sort of security
form that point on.  I'm lost :(

--
Jesse Keating