low-hanging fruit

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:24:04 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 12:24 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > This has all strayed off pretty far into theory-land. Maybe you can
> > give a concrete example of a concrete case (starting with why the user
> > is in the GUI tool to begin with) of when a user needs to be asked a
> > yum-specific question when interacting with a GUI tool?
>

> - import a gpg key from a repo so they can install a package.
> - verify that the set of things they are asking to
> install/remove/obsolete is what they _really_ want to do.
> - let them know they need to reboot/logout/restart-some-program in order
> to have these changes take effect.
>
> We've got to get some information to them b/c the internet isn't
> error-free. :)

Well, in general terms, if the PackageKit API doesn't provide enough
richness to provide the right interaction, it needs to be improved.
Certainly verification of what is going to happen makes sense to me as
part of that API. Rebooting / logout / restarting has to be handled as
well (though you can't tell the user, "I upgraded libglib, please
restart all apps you are using that depend upon it")

Specifically I think the GPG key import is probably one of those
questions where the user clicks yes unless the question is "Do you
want to import the GPG key for
bad-guy-wants-to-take-over-your-computer.com?" And it isn't going say
that when a bad guy wants to take over your computer. The mechanism to
ask the question doesn't make sense without answering the design
question of how doe a users start using packages from a new repository
in a way that doesn't involve asking them "if you are being tricked,
press cancel".

- Owen