More low hanging fruit.

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 19:12:32 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
> Ray Strode escribió:
> >
> > Seems like a good idea to me.  At a minimum we should get rid of the
> > getty on tty1 so we don't have the brief "Login: " flash when the screen
> > jumps from rhgb to gdm.
> >
> > --Ray
> >

> When will Fedora drop RHGB once and for all? Seems all that's needed is
> already into the kernel or easily configured into it... Albeit the
> current mode setting is rather manual, but we could simply go with
> something standard such as 1024x768 at 32bpp, or is this value going to
> directly feed X resolution information? For in that case, why not make X
> and VT configuration part of either: boot loader (LiveCD) or Anaconda
> (DVD) for installation, just "like in the old days", I don't see why
> both resolution values have to be tied together or identical in any way...

I almost have a working configuration that allows rhgb to use the gdm
xserver.  This
means that once X starts ( even earlier than with rhgb now ) it is a
seamless X transition
all the way to login.  I also have it doing cool things like instead
of bouncing back to
a VT for manual fsck it all happens right there in the rhgb vte screen.

It isn't perfect yet but I am trying to get it usable enough to make
it into Fedora 8 feature set.

Jon