Idea: easier transition for newcomers from other DEs/OSes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Aug 26 11:52:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 13:32 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Just a though... Your opinions? Is it even desirable? Does it make
> > sense?
> >

> -1000 !
> ---
> fedora is not supposed to be a "better windows"  but a  different OS
> look & fell can also be different as long as it isn't complicated and
> the user does not need to RTFM to understand how to do basic task.
> but to be honest I don'z think that the gnome or kde look and feel are a
> problem for somebody who switches from windows to linux.
> The things that are complely different are:
> * software installation (no setup.exe ..click, click, click)
> but I think packagekit/pirut and friends are not to complex for windows
> users to get used to and after sometime they will start to love them (no
> hunting for apps on the net/disks but simply search for it and the
> system does the download and install for them)
Actually I think that pirut is far better and easier than just some
setup.exe. Besides, you can download a rpm and double-click on it in
nautilus, if you don't like pirut itself. Nevertheless, I think it's
much more easier to just open applications list, check some apps you
want to install/remove and apply the changes. What can be easier? In
windows you are nearly unable to (un)install more than one app in one
go. The only problems here are that linux apps are not so good known as
their windows variants - that's one of the reasons why the group view is
cool thing - some of the applications isn't in our repos - but thanks to
community the number is lesser and lesser every now and then.

> * driver installation:
> users should not install drivers at all everything should just work
> everything else its a bug ... the problem here is that some vendors does
> not help us with this goal.
> ---
> I think thats basicly it opening a file using nautilus/konqueror or with
> the windows explorer isn't much different. starting a app from a menu
> that is not 1:1 the same as the windows one?  well if the user can use
> the mouse and read he will find the app in menu.
> I could continue here but I wont what I want to say is USERS AREN'T
> IDOITS! (well some are but they have problems with other oses to so
> copying their look & feel does not help) ... making things easier is ok
> but don't assume that user can't learn anything new. (and in that cases
> it isn't _that_ new at all)

+1!

I just thought about setting some basic things, like panel layout,
keyboard shortcuts and like - no app changes - with one ore two
clicks...