Starting point for package list for Fedora 7 Desktop spin

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 22:44:38 UTC 2007

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraDesktop

This is a first rough draft at what packages to include in the Desktop spin.
Please note that for the most part we're trying to list top level packages as
the compose tool can depresolve from there.  Many of the packages listed I
don't necessarily know what they do, especially those in <core> and <base> so
I'd be happy to get some thought on those.

There is no marking what is default/manditory/optional, nor any real ideas as
to what Categories exists and just some guesses at group names.  Also we'll
need the language groups too.

I may have an iso set composed from this package list at some point soon to
share, not sure about getting it external yet.

I also have this in comps format, which is going to be how we manage this for
the composes, so I'm going to put up a file somewhere that more people can
gain access to and munge there rather than me having to translate from
email/wiki comments into comps languages.  But for now, here is a flatish
list.  (Note, without translations, we're about 1.5CDs big with this list)

<core> (not visible)
SysvInit
authconfig
basesystem
bash
coreutils
cpio
e2fsprogs
ed
fedora-logos
fedora-release
file
filesystem
glibc
grub
hdparm
initscripts
iproute
iprutils
iputils
kbd
kudzu
libgcc
libtermcap
passwd
policycoreutils
prelink
procps
readline
rootfiles
rpm
selinux-policy-targetted
setserial
setup
shadow-utils
sysklogd
termcap
util-linux
vim-minimal

<base> (visible)
NetworkManager
NetworkManager-vpnc
acl
acpid
anacron
apmd
cpuspeed
at
authconfig
autofs
bluez-utils
ccid
coolkey
crash
crontabs
dmraid
diskdumputils
dos2unix
dosfstools
dvd+rw-utils
dump
(gnome-)eject ?
gnome-power-manager (does this go with Desktop instead?)
gpart
gnupg
gutenprint
lftp
logrotate
logwatch (or replacement?)
man-pages
man
mcelog
mdadm
mtools
nfs-utils
openssh-server
openssh-clients
pam_keyring
pam_pkcs11
pam_smb
parted
redhat-lsb ?
rsync
setarch
which
yum
yum-updatesd

<Office>
abiword
evince
glabels
gobby
gnumeric
inkscape
fontforge
openoffice.org (?)

<Multimedia>
banshee/rhythmbox/muine (pick one?)
f-spot
totem

<Internet>
ekiga
evolution
evolution-connector
evolution-webcal
firefox
gaim
gnome-blog/gossip
transmission

<Games>
atomix/lmarbles
enigma
frozen-bubble/monkey-bubble
neverball
ppracer
foobillard
celestia ?
gweled ?
crack-attack

<Desktop>
NetworkManager-gnome
bug-buddy
control-center
deskbar-applet
desktop-printing (does gutenprint replace this?)
file-roller
gconf-editor
gedit
gnome-applets