New comps and full package list

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jan 14 13:52:25 UTC 2007

Le dimanche 14 janvier 2007 à 19:02 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> >>  exim, postfix,
> >
> > Please keep them in the desktop spin, none of the "you don't need a full
> > MTA in Desktop" people have produced a working alternative so far. (in
> > fact the current GUI mail client suckage only makes people push more
> > processing in local server mail stack)
> >

> Do you really need more than one MTA in a desktop spin? Sendmail is the
> default so it can stay.

The last MTA you want in a dekstop spin is sendmail. There is absolutely
zero question about it. It's only kept as default in RHEL to placate old
solaris admins & because at very high load (central ISP/bigcorp mail
node) it's rumoured to be a little faster if configured by a sendmail
guru.

None of those (bad¹) reasons apply to the desktop spin

¹ someday when the sendmail people start pushing sendmail X people will
realise the king has no clothes and we've been pushing the wrong
implementation for years

--
Nicolas Mailhot