New comps and full package list

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Jan 14 14:08:03 UTC 2007

On Sunday 14 January 2007 07:11, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> We probably dont require the following packages on the media:

Please focus more on the comps file if you don't want something installed.
The comps file is what drives what will be on the CD.  The full list is for
the folks that think something is /missing/ from the spin.  If you think
something is too much, find out what package is bringing it in and attempt
to "fix" that package, not block it from the compose.

> audit, audit-libs, autofs, diskdumputils, crash, dump, docbook-dtds,
> docbook-style-dsssl, docbook-style-xsl, docbook-utils, ikvm, mtools,
> mono-data-oracle, mono-data-sybase, monodevelop, monodoc, mono-nunit,
> mono-web, mono-winforms, qt, PyQt, exim, postfix, tomcat5-jsp-2.0-api,
> tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api, transmission, xml-common
> xml-commons, xml-commons-apis. xml-commons-resolver,xerces-c,xerces-j2
> (some of these seem to be dependencies for openoffice.org
> unnecessarily), timidity++
>
> Reevaluate the following packages being installed:
>
> coolkey (a large majority of our audience dont have smartcard on their
> systems),

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have it available for use.  Thins like this should
Just Work, because really how am I supposed to look at a smart card, and
decide I need "coolkey" installed?  More likely I'll try to use it, it won't
work and I'll think Fedora doesn't support it.

> hpijs, hplip (should be only required when the system has HP
> printers),

HP is a HUGE brand.  These should just work, just like all the other printer
drivers pulled in by cups.  As to why these are they're own packages, that's
a different issue to bring up.

> nfs-utils (why would I need this on a desktop systems?)

Because quite frequently one uses NFS to mount something.  VERY common in a
university setting (where Fedora makes sense now since they can refresh every
year).  It was also a huge mistake to forget nfs-utils from the LiveCD.

> bluez-utils, gnome-bluetooth, nautilus-sendto-bluetooth (Maybe install
> on demand when bluetooth devices are detected?)

Until we have such a system that can do this, we need to include them so that
the hardware Just Works.  We don't strip out all the kernel modules, why
would we do the userland too?  People expect their hardware to Just Work, and
we should ensure that it does.  Until such time that we can detect their
hardware when they try to use it and offer a way to install the software to
support it, we should include it in the spin, and probably install it by
default (note default, can still be unchecked).

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora