New comps and full package list

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 16:40:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:41 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> We probably dont require the following packages on the media:

> audit, audit-libs,

audit-libs is required by huge chunks of the system.  And without the
daemon, setroubleshoot can't work (which is very important for actually
being able to inform a user and help when there are SELinux denials)

>  autofs, diskdumputils, crash, dump, docbook-dtds,
> docbook-style-dsssl, docbook-style-xsl, docbook-utils, ikvm,

> mtools,

mtools is the only way to do some operations with DOS filesystems that
are at least somewhat common

> mono-data-oracle, mono-data-sybase, monodevelop, monodoc, mono-nunit,
> mono-web, mono-winforms, qt, PyQt, exim, postfix,
> tomcat5-jsp-2.0-api,
> tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api, transmission, xml-common
> xml-commons, xml-commons-apis.
> xml-commons-resolver,xerces-c,xerces-j2
> (some of these seem to be dependencies for openoffice.org

Much of them are.  Since we've now moved to OOo not containing its own
copies of the world.

> unnecessarily), timidity++
>
> Reevaluate the following packages being installed:
>
> coolkey (a large majority of our audience dont have smartcard on their
> systems), hpijs, hplip (should be only required when the system has HP
> printers),

We should definitely be installing these by default.  We don't want to
be forcing users to get online to install basic hardware support.  The
associated services probably have bugs filed blocking 222312 (hardware
daemons shouldn't run as services but instead only run when the hardware
is present)

>  nfs-utils (why would I need this on a desktop systems?),

Because being able to mount NFS filesystems is something that most
people using Linux expect to be able to do ;)

> bluez-utils, gnome-bluetooth, nautilus-sendto-bluetooth (Maybe install
> on demand when bluetooth devices are detected?)

Again, should be installed by default and the daemons only started when
the hardware is actually present.

Jeremy