Starting point for package list for Fedora 7 Desktop spin

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:44:37 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Steven Garrity <stevelist at silverorange.com> wrote:

> A few quite thoughts on the <Office> category:
>
> As a default, I'd like to see *either* OpenOffice.org, or the equivalent
> Gnome apps (Abiword, Gnumeric, etc). Since the OpenDocument format is
> doing so well, I'd like to see Fedora (as a prominent) distribution have
> strong support for it. Hence, I think OpenOffice.org is the best choice
> (for now).

+1 for OpenOffice.org, lets promote ODF as much as we can.

Gobby - It's very cool, but it is another text editor (albeit one with a
> significant twist). I think collaborative editing would be worth
> included as plugins to Gedit or AbiWord, but I'm not sure it justifies
> another text editor.

I think gobby is something I'd really like to start playing with.  Its not
quite there yet, but it needs more people using it to get it where it needs
to be.

On the text editor front, I'd really like to see at least emacs-nox included
in the same way that vim-minimal is (or at least in base).  I don't suggest
including the graphical bits but its a real pain falling back to vim when X
doesn't start.  It seems like a pretty obvious package to include since it
is one of the most popular text editors available.

Also, I'd suggest Rhythmbox as the choice of music player - it's solid
> and has been improving a lot in recent releases.

Maybe I should take another look into Rhythmbox.  Its been a while since it
let me down last.  People have been talking it up recently so I'll have to
give it another chance.

Russell