Using pulseaudio by default

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 20:52:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:30 +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:

> > Ah, I was wrong about the range, sorry. But still, after adding myself
> > to the pulse-rt group, and logging in again, pulseaudio won't start,
> > this time complaining about a nonreadable $HOME/.pulse/daemon.conf.
> >

> Now this shouldn't happen. It should use your local conf if it exists,
> but fall back to the global otherwise.

I'll ask monty about this. I believe he investigated this particular
problem in depth.

> > Clearly, some work is needed to make pulseaudio-based sound work
> > out of the box.
> >

> Definitely, I just have too much on my table to do more than just basic
> maintenance of the package.

Ok, I'll be happy to file some bugs and provide patches.

How about this list of changes as a starting point:

- Split esound into esound (daemon and utils) and esound-libs  (#223503)

- Make the package install /usr/bin/esd instead of /usr/bin/esdcompat
  and make it conflict with esound - that should take care of
  most of the gnome stack.

- Figure out a way to avoid the pulse-rt group requirement, or
  alternatively, add users to pulse-rt automatically.

- Make module-hal-detect work with recent kernels
  (http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/51)