Now a package manifest!

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Jan 24 21:33:03 UTC 2007

> Pungi now works from a flat file package manifest to decide what to depsolve
> and pull into a spin.  A master comps file will be used for all spins for
> grouping purposes, so that grouping is constant, and only changed in one
> place.  (I'm working from a merged comps-fc7 (slightly updated from FC6), and
> comps-fe7).
>
> I've updated the wiki page with the latest data on the manifest + what it
> brings in via depsolving:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraDesktop

Does the manifest, e.g.

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraDesktop/PackageList

support wildcards? If not, it probably should as it's ugly to include
all of aspell-*, m17n-db-*, openoffice.org-langpack-* manually. I'm sure
that when one package adds a new language, someone adds a new input
method etc. then we're going to forget it and due to the package not
being heavily used it will take some time to get noticed.

Notably yum supports wildcards this and it's used for the live cd stuff
to pull in all the relevant sub packages.

Alternatively, we could have meta packages

 aspell-all

that pulls in all aspell-* packages. Notably, if we go down this route
we can later have (making up regions on the fly)

 aspell-RegionAmericas
 aspell-RegionWesternEurope
 aspell-RegionEasternEurope
 aspell-RegionAfrica
 aspell-RegionAPAC

which would make it very easy to build live CD's / spins targeted at
certain regions.

What do you think? Probably our packaging standard committee should look
at something like this (including possibly defining regions).

      David