new user creation module in firstboot

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 4 01:26:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 05:35:33PM -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > Email address? Where's that going to go? What will it be used for? And
> > isn't my e-mail address username at localhost?
> The Email address is intended to used to pull in account information
> from mugshot so using username at localhost wouldn't really work.

My point is: how is the user presented with that form supposed to guess
that? Mugshot integration sounds like a cool idea -- but why not present it
as that?

> > There should also be an advanced button so that parameters like userid
> > can be selected.
> This user creation module is intended to be used by desktop users, not
> systems administrators so having a place to select advanced options like
> userid doesn't really make sense. FWIW, the current user creation module
> doesn't have those options for local users either.

I'm a desktop user. I want to select my user id. This is a flaw in the
current user creation module; if we're changing it, now's the time to fix
it.

Good design makes easy things easy and more complicated things possible.