new user creation module in firstboot

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Thu Oct 4 15:37:48 UTC 2007

tor 2007-10-04 klockan 08:36 -0400 skrev Matthew Miller:

> Often, yes. But I also like to have all user ids the same at home so
> usernames on removable media just match up. I don't have complicated enough
> home network (or enough users!) to justify LDAP or even NIS, and anyway I
> need disconnected operation. So matching up user ids is nice.

Yeah, I do that too.

Though perhaps it's time to start thinking about how to solve this
automatically. I personally feel that user ids should be local and that
anything that's not local to a host (removable media, network file
systems etc.) should use something else which then gets mapped to a
local uid when necessary. I'm not sure what that something would be,
though. Usernames, username at domain, mugshot accounts, user at uuid or
whatever.

For example, a USB drive with an ext3 file system could contain some
database that maps uids for that file system to usernames. Then when you
plug that into a machine, the uids are automatically remapped according
to this database to match what the host actually uses.

Btw, this isn't about improving security, it's just a way to make things
work more smoothly.

/abo