new user creation module in firstboot

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 04:40:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 19:44 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 18:09 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On 10/3/07, David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This looks pretty smooth, thanks a lot for working on this. My first
> > > reaction is that this is not something that should be limited to
> > > firstboot; ideally stuff like that should be able to run from the
> > > desktop environment when adding / deleting / managing users, right?
> >
> > We had a design session on this; the idea was actually that you could
> > create new users from the login dialog (GDM).
>
> I agree that's an interesting idea that would replace the need for a
> firstboot module (and probably firstboot entirely). However, I think
> it's still needed as a program you can launch in the desktop session
> along with an icon in System->Administration. If only we had a component
> system...

If the account creation was only in gdm, how would a user know that they
need to create an account before they login? - would this be an obvious
step? IMO presenting the account creation in firstboot is the way to let
a user know that they should create a user account. And since the code
would be reused from the other account creation code it shouldn't be too
hard to create the module.

Ben