esc by default?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 16:37:52 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 11:44 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 11:26 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>> I think the point we're making here is that we need to find a happy
>> balance. I think smart cards are obscure enough to not include them by
>> default.
>
> Maybe. But it shouldn't have to be that way; smart cards (or anything
> where you verify more than one thing about the user (e.g. the classic
> something you a) have; b) know; c) are) are inherently more secure than
> just passwords and SSH keys. Hence, I think we should be interested in
> getting this working. Same for thinkfinger; people are doing very good
> work at integrating this into the distro.

Everything Red Hat is doing is driving towards the use of stronger
authentication. We have made huge monetary investments in this area.
Fedora is supposed to be a test ground for emerging technology,
especially emerging technology be driven by us. These observations
should help answer the question of whether these packages should be
candidates for default installation because that will help move the
technology forward we have a vested interest in.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>