think finger

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 25 12:58:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 08:55 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> Pushing off from Ben's email on new user creation [1] I wanted to get
> some setup for the think finger support that david mentioned [2].
>
> So to start off with some technical questions about think finger, some
> of these might be obvious to other people besides me:
>
> Can it's presence be detected automatically?  And it's (pam)
> authentication be added automatically?

It's a device it should be able to be looked up in hal.

> How many times does it take to train think finger support initially?

3 good finger swipes that it checks against one another.

> Can it be (re)trained incrementally?  Is this required?

not that I've seen.

> What are the security models required for this?  Thinkfinger &&
> password?  Thinkfinger || password? Just Thinkfinger?  My assumption
> here is that either is accepted.

I tested it on my rawhide laptop and while afaict thinkfinger doesn't
care gdm and logins and everything else are unprepared for 2-factor
auth. They'll accept a finger swipe or a password but cannot handle it
if your pam config requires both.

> Can we get the image from think finger for user feedback?  Ray mentioned
> we might be able to fake it, which would probably be good enough.

the image of your fingerprint?

-sv