think finger

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 22:05:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 15:54 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> The dbus service would be a HAL singleton, and we could obviously use a
> different implementation that could drive Authentec readers, or any
> other, given a sane API.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but as I said in my other mail, now that we have
D-Bus system bus activation, the current advice from the HAL team is to
use dedicated services (with standardized interfaces) and use HAL as the
directory for looking up the service. That way, there's no HAL
dependencies which gives us more freedom to rewrite HAL.

(More off-topic but perhaps interesting: As a matter of fact, I talked
to Marcel Holtmann about this and it's probably how Bluetooth and
Wireless USB audio (and other cloud services) is going to work; the
interface will be exactly the same (org.fd.WirelessAudio or whatever)
but the services providing them will differ e.g. org.bluez.Audio,
org.wusb.Audio and so. The main consumer for Fedora of this, PulseAudio,
thus does not need to care at all about the _implementation_ (only the
interface) and it will enable us to plug new wireless protocols in
without modifying any consumers.)

     David