Request for inclusion of compizconfig-python and ccsm into F-8

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail izhar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 26 12:50:22 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> >>    Compiz Fusion has been one of the major attraction to Linux lately,

> > > +1
> > >

> > Spot, did you notice that this requires changes to desktop-effects and
> > gnome-session?  It sounds like they expect it to be part of the default
> > install, not just an add-on to the compiz of today.  Is the desktop team
> > aware and in agreement with these changes?
>
> This has come up before, and while it would be nice to have a more
> capable configuration program for compiz the current libcompizconfig
> is not the right solution.  Ideally we would have a configuration
> application per desktop environment and the GNOME configurator would
> just talk to gconf directly, similarly for the KDE configurator.
>
> If somebody wants to write a settings manager that works with several
> DEs, I think the burden is on the settings manager to talk to the
> different configuration systems it wants to operate under.  Or this
> could be part of libcompizconfig, so that setting managers that want
> to be DE-agnostic can just link to this library and not worry about
> the underlying config mechanism in use.
>
> The current compiz setup is compatible with the above scheme, somebody
> just need to do the necessary libcompizconfig adjustments.

Thanks Kristian for the input ..

compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.6.0-2.fc8  has just been built in koji (i
couldnt build it before due to waiting for libcompizconfig-0.6.0-3.fc8
to get into the buildroot) .. if we include that together on F-8 , it
will be  running properly on  GNOME according to your plans right?

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru