Detecting dbus session

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Oct 28 02:54:17 UTC 2007

I'm trying to write a couple NetworkManager Dispatcher calls to futz
with a few things that don't yet have NM capabilities.  However I'm
running into a snag, particularly with pidgin.  Pidgin has a
purple-remote call that uses dbus.  nm-dispatcher runs as root so I
have to switch to my user to accomplish things (currently via su -
<user> -c "command args").  Seems though that a 'su - <user>' from root
doesn't add the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env entry, and purple-remote
can't find dbus or can't find pidgin on the bus.

How can I programmatically figure out what the dbus address is, or
otherwise accomplish what I'm trying to do?

--
Jesse Keating