musings on session service mgmt

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 16:23:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 11:10 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:14 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > Not in the least, there are programs which are supposed to stay running
> > even when you log out -- screen, vncserver, nohup'ed processes etc.
>
> No one is talking about changing the semantics of "nohup".

Perhaps I'm a bit slow, but how would it not do this if it relies on the
inheritance of a previously non-existent environment variable that needs
to be deleted if a process shall not be killed on session exit?

> What we're talking about it is that it is actually hard to write apps to
> exit with the session when that's what is the desired behavior.

I still don't understand why this would be the case. I assume what Havoc
wrote is true, i.e. stuff that uses xlib or dbus is already covered. How
is it difficult to let the remaining handful of processes die when the
session exits? We could even let these few register themselves with
gnome-session (or whatever else is applicable) so it could explicitly
kill them on session exit, couldn't we?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759