musings on session service mgmt

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:21:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 9:50 AM, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> If I'm not off track, at least screen predates X session management by a
> few years. So if anything, X session management was (for want of a
> better word) designed to not make established ways how to make a process
> a daemon (and screen, nohup etc. do nothing else) break.

I personally don't know what I would do if screen was forcibly exited
when I left the desktop environment.  I've been relying on screen to
run data analysis processes which take a long time due primarily to
file i/o and not memory or cpu.  What would be the quickest and least
annoying workaround for that behavior. I guess it would be to open a
gnome-terminal, then ssh into localhost and then start screen from
inside the ssh session.  Then when the desktop session ended and all
related processes were killed, gnome-terminal and the ssh connection
would die, but the screen session would live because it was started
from inside the ssh session and thus outside the scope of desktop
session itself.

-jef