Media handling changes in F9

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:18:50 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 11:18 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Currently, the following content types have been introduced:

Does the new world order gracefully handle the case of mixed media, for example
an audio cd that has a data partition as well as audio data?

I bring that case up, because how it is specifcally handled now is one
of my biggest pet peeves.  Right now with default mounting settings
insertion of this sort of object causes the data partition to be
mounted and cause apps like sound juicer to fail when they attempt to
extract the audio data.  you have to unmount the data partition to get
audio ripping to work..but since you can't unmount without also
ejecting (via exposed ui).. you have to turn off auto-mounting
completely for ripping to work.  Madness.

So with that as context, does the new world order allow for mix media?
Will there be a way to define how to "prefer" one content type over
another when the media can be counted as multiple types?  Obviously in
this example, prefering to treating the media as audio over data is
sanest because I don't fall into the "unmount but don't eject" trap
like i do if its treated the other way around.

-jef