What should the desktop spin for F9 look like ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:32:48 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Jonathan tried to kick off this discussion earlier, with some success.
> I think we should revive the desktop SIG and start to work out some
> concrete goals for what we want to improve in the desktop spin for F9.
>

> Here are some things that we might want to discuss:
>
> - menus
>   + switch from "generic name" style to "name - generic name" ?
>   + "too much" - what to get rid of in the menus, and how
>
> - login screen
>   + can we make the special live-cd situation more intuitive ?
>
> - bootup
>   + should we look at the nm dispatcher work by jon nettleton ?
>
> - content
>   + people have proposed to add some free content to the cd
>
> - anything else people want to see improved
>

> Matthias

I have posted this idea before but on fedora-devel mailin list, and it
got great response. I'm reposting it here and adding a RFE to fedora-destop.

* Desktop shortcut for joining Fedora IRC (aka "Get Live Help")
Fedora is about freedom+communication, right? Why not make this
statement more that just a nice slogan. If you installed saabyon linux
you could experienced for yourself what this really means. I as a new
user to gentoo (sabayon is based on gentoo) was really blown away with
this feature. It is really, really simple to implement and gives a
real meaning to a communication friendly linux distro.
In sabayon link to their IRC chat has a simple name "Get Live Help"
and it work fabulous! I didn't have any Portage experience so I poped
in IRC chat room and was on my way after I got quick help. Whis kind
of help was precious to me and would love to see it in fedora as one
of it's main features and not just as a slogan.
screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=382063978&size=l