Flash videos in Fedora 9 via swfdec or proprietary plugin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 18:26:13 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 16:32 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> So there is really going to be proprietary free flash in fedora? Whoow,
>> great news!
>
> Flash video is going to be pretty much impossible to support in Fedora
> itself. The best we can do here is to add codeina support and then
>
> a) hope that fluendo or somebody else offer a legal flash video codec
> via that channel
>
> and/or
>
> b) someone adds third-party repository support to codeina and we leave
> it to the users to find the right repositories

I removed macromedia flash plugin and then installed swfdec and
gstreamer-ffmpeg (both from livna) and under Fedora 8 nothing works, not
even the audio. I saw that swfdec in F8 is 0.5.3 and in rawhide its
0.5.5 so maybe this is too old version...

I'll reboot to Rawhide and report back.

Cheers,
Valent.