Patch: timed progressbar for plymouth-plugin-spinfinity

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Jul 17 07:55:17 UTC 2008

Bastien Nocera escribió:

>>> Awesome. Humans are so gullible.
>>>

>> True, though I can think of ONE situation where faster boot times are
>> desirable: laptop users. For the minute or so it takes my laptop to boot
>> and initiate my session (no automatic session start, though), if the
>> battery is at full 100% charge, it will eat 5% of the charge during that
>> minute... Just do some math here and at that rate, should anything
>> happen during boot (like the scan of the largest partition on the
>> drive), there's only 20 or so minutes of power.
>>

> I didn't say _actual_ faster boots were not desirable, just that a
> perceived faster boot was a good thing. FWIW, if you can only get 20
> minutes of battery from your laptop, it's time to buy a new battery...

Well is not like I can only get 20 minutes of power out of it, is that
during boot the system seems to be on an "all-on" state that draws
immense amounts of power. Before all the power-saving features kick in,
power drainage is very heavy. Once they're all in place I have at least
2 hours worth of battery juice. I was pointing out the immense amount of
power boot up requires, at least as of F8 (I can't install F9 yet on
this one due to graphics problems I experienced with a previous attempt)