A new user management tool

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri May 23 10:41:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:19 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Could we just call it "Login name"? This sounds really like a bad
> macintoshism to me -- generating nonsensical name just for sake
> of not sounding like a computerese -- even the Aunt Tillie these
> days knows what login name is, and this duo "Name/Short Name" is
> guaranteed to confuse everybody.

I concur. The connotation "Login screen" <-> "Login name" should be
easier made than "Login screen" <-> "Short name". People are hardly
confused by seeing their real names in the login screen if there is a
list of users, but they need to make that connotation if they only see
"User Name: ______ Password: _____".

As a side note, I don't like the login screen a bit for going corporate
on me by using full names instead of given ones (or nicknames?). I
haven't seen a Mac or Windows user using a full name on his home
computer anyway ;-).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759