Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:39:01 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 07:18 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:12:55AM -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

>> If, as mentioned in the original question regarding target audience,
>> the point of the live cd is something to hand out to people new to
>> Fedora to show them what Fedora/Linux offers then removing things like
>> Gimp may be the wrong thing to do.
>>
>> The Fedora download page says this about the live cd:
>>
>> "This is the latest version of the Fedora Linux operating system
>> featuring the GNOME desktop. It's everything you need to try out
>> Fedora—and if you like it, install it right from the desktop!"
>>
>> This to me means things like Gimp should stay on the live cd, because
>> it is one of the features of Fedora/Linux that people may want to try
>> out.
>
> I could substitute quite a lot of random applications for "Gimp" above
> and that argument would be the same -- which probably means it's not a
> very strong one.

I don't think Nicu and Gerd are talking so much about random features
that random users want to try... I think they're talking more about the
best of breed software and "killer apps" that allow people to see the
quality of programs written via a free software approach.  In this vein,
GIMP and firefox are both projects that are showcase pieces.  They show
people that free software can be quality software that is a valid
alternative to proprietary offerings from Adobe and Microsoft.

>  The Desktop Live CD has sufficient applications for
> someone to browse the web; retrieve, read, and send email; create
> business documents; and view and organize media.  And it has support
> for searching and later installing additional software.

This still elludes the question that's being asked.  If the LiveCD's
target audience is office workers wanting to do things with the livecd,
then this plus Bill's note that we still have apps on the livecd to do
basic photo touchups is sufficent.  But for the people wanting to show
others what Fedora and free software are capable of at conferences and
shows, there is a desire to show people the best of breed software.

-Toshio