Dropping Gimp from the live cd

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 5 18:11:46 UTC 2009

> > oooh... Excellent!  I think a good demo spin would incorporate some of
> > this kind of media as well.  Then when someone gets their shiny Fedora
> > USB key home and sits down to do some work on their computer they can
> > fire up GIMP and replay the video as a step by step tutorial.  Having
> > both the video and the apps is greater than having each by themselves.
>
> Yes, but when you've gotten to this point, you've long since left
> behind any sort of single-CD spin, as you'll need both the tools
> and the video, neither of which are small. (Given the need to have
> some play space on your USB stick for the overlay, I wonder if even
> 1GB is enough.)

Hmm. Well, I think it depends.

If you *do* have network access (which, as previously mentioned, tends
to be spotty at conferences) the videos could be hosted somewhere at fpo
a a video podcast feed, and that feed could be automagically set in
totem and maybe as a firefox bookmarklet. Then visitors to the booth
could pick up a copy of this demo cd and still be able to access the
videos when they get home.

The complication it would introduce is that the ambassadors or whomever
is giving the demo would need to download the media set separately on a
different USB key ahead of time and make sure they plug it in while
giving the video demos at the booth.

~m