The default theme for F12

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 20:46:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 18:03 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 05:55 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > Hey,
> Hi,
>
> > For now we want to stay with upstream Clearlooks.
> >
> For a while now, I have been wondering what "we" stands for here... The
> discussion seems to mostly happen off-list.

'We' refers to the design and production "team" for the desktop spin. At
the moment, this is mostly me and Jon. Some of the discussion does
happen off-list, which is somewhat unfortunate.  This tends to occur for
a few reasons:
   * We happen to sit in an office within 10 feet of each other
   * Design is ideally a high bandwidth activity
   * We often have impromptu discussions
   * So we can focus and make some decisions (almost always after
talking with upstream, the Fedora community, other smart people from
other distributions, etc)

I have tried to keep this list in the loop on potentially controversial
changes, such as the GIMP change.

[...]

> PS: I'd really like to know who has the formal authority in the desktop
> design area -- is it the design-team, is it the Desktop SIG for GNOME,
> KDE SIG for KDE, ... or combination of both? IIRC the switch to Mist (at
> that time from bluecurve via incomplete Echo) was made by the
> predecessor to design-team. On the other hand this very discussion seems
> to be mostly Desktop SIG centered. While I don't have any preference as
> where the authority should be, I'd like it to be crystal clear... I
> certainly don't want to have a ping-pong between e.g. design-team
> switching icon theme to gnome-colors [1][2] while desktop SIG switching
> it to gnome-icon-theme...

In Fedora, we are not very good at 'crystal clear' and 'formal
authority', which sometimes has the unfortunate effect of letting
inertia and diverging interests prevail... The closest you will probably
get to a 'formal authority' is the first few lines of the kickstart file
defining the desktop spin:

# Maintained by the Fedora Desktop SIG:
# http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Desktop
# mailto:fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com