Menu structure change

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 18:08:44 UTC 2009

Am Montag, den 16.02.2009, 09:15 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 10:25 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 06.02.2009, 14:01 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > I have just build a redhat-menus package that gets rid of the Submenus
> > > in Preferences. We kinda inherited them from the control-center shell,
> > > which never really took off, and they didn't really work well, since the
> > > categorization left people guessing which submenu to open.
> >
> > I don't thing that's a good argument, because you get used to the
> > submenus quickly. I really liked them. We worked hard to get everything
> > right, filed bugs against packages that were not inside of the submenus,
> > and now we throw all this away?
>
> Well, if you got used to submenus quickly, you will probably also get
> used to no submenus quickly...

How about the space argument then? How do you want to get rid of 10 menu
entries (that's more than a third)?

> On a less flippant note, somebody is already working on a package to add
> submenus in a separate package, like the games-menus (?) package does to
> the games menu.

Yes, that's Rudolf Kastl and me, and it's a sisyphean task, because most
packages don't use subcategories correctly. The only desktop files that
were using it were the ones in the prefs menu, but nobody will notice it
any longer. :(

Regards,
Christoph