Menu structure change

Roy Bynum rabynum at ieee.org
Mon Feb 16 20:59:19 UTC 2009

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 16.02.2009, 09:15 -0500 schrieb Matthias Clasen:

>>> I don't thing that's a good argument, because you get used to the
>>> submenus quickly. I really liked them. We worked hard to get everything
>>> right, filed bugs against packages that were not inside of the submenus,
>>> and now we throw all this away?
>>>
>> Well, if you got used to submenus quickly, you will probably also get
>> used to no submenus quickly...
>>

> How about the space argument then? How do you want to get rid of 10 menu
> entries (that's more than a third)?
>

>> On a less flippant note, somebody is already working on a package to add
>> submenus in a separate package, like the games-menus (?) package does to
>> the games menu.
>>

> Yes, that's Rudolf Kastl and me, and it's a sisyphean task, because most
> packages don't use subcategories correctly. The only desktop files that
> were using it were the ones in the prefs menu, but nobody will notice it
> any longer. :(
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

I appreciate all of the thought and work that you are doing on this
project.  I have a thought though, wouldn't doing away with the submenus
create a level of "clutter" that would detract from the "presentation"
of the desktop.  The use of submenus reduces the clutter and the primary
menu levels add a degree of categorization to the submenus by collecting
them within specific categories.  Perhaps it a better way to present
things would be to provide the ability to "edit" the menus to allow
users to bring to the primary level the submenus that they use on a
regular basis for their own customization.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum