Linux users want better desktop performance (Screw data. Prioritize code)

Roy Bynum rabynum at ieee.org
Wed Feb 18 04:39:37 UTC 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Roy Bynum wrote:
>> I may be totally "out in the weeds" with this comment, but here
>> goes.  Is is possible to set up a small app that would maintain a
>> record of the swap/buffer usage patterns and set up a "sliding scale"
>> that would move the swap priority based on the usage pattern of the
>> logged in user?
>
> Good question. I don't know enough if it can track usage patterns, but
> my guess is it could. (At least, if running as root; if not root I
> think it could only read the memory of processes belonging to the
> effective user, but since you say it should track that users' stuff
> anyway I think that's a non-issue. That said...) AFAIK the ratio is
> adjustable in real-time. (...it might need to be root to tweak the
> ratio, or else have an suid helper program. The latter is probably
> better... although it's probably better to make the whole thing run as
> root so it is system-wide. For single-user systems, it will mostly
> track the logged-in user anyway, but also account for system daemons.
> For multi-user systems, presumably you don't want to treat one user
> preferentially. And surely you don't want multiple instances running
> and contending on what to make the ratio.)
>
> Short answer: I think it's possible.
>
> Usage patterns are a function of user /and time/. I assume such a
> program could be tuned to handle varying usage patterns as well.

Desktop systems tend to be single user and usage centric which can
change, while multiuser systems tend to be setup for a dedicated usage
which does not change.  The tuning application would be optional in both
cases with at least two different modes of operation.  The single user
would more likely use it in a  transparent auto-tuning mode while the
administrator of the multiuser system would use it as a support tool in
non auto-tuning, reporting only mode.

One of the things that I have learned over the years is that what I
don't know exceeds what I do know.  I may know the utilization that I
have for my systems and those that I have supported.  There are probably
quite a few that I don't know about.  If the single user systems were
given the option of sending feedback to a development repository and
provide a "usefulness" reporting site for feedback that could be used
for making adjustments to the auto-tuning parameters.   In addition to
the  nominal testing that would be done during development, other usage
and utilization functionalities can be accounted for.

This  type of  applications would be useful for a broad range of
implementations, and perhaps help reduce some of the "art" to system
tuning.  Additionally, it  might have a positive impact on "perceived"
desktop performance over a broad range of environments.