xguest by default?

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 06:56:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> xguest provides kiosk mode/ guest user functionality that is very useful for
> desktop users. xguest has been available in the repository for a few

How do you figure it's useful? I can only imagine the bug reports -
"all my settings disappear when I log out!" "my wireless key keeps
getting forgotten!" (insert any number of other complaints due to lack
of understanding of what's going on here).

Also, it requires SELinux to be in enforcing mode in order to do it's
magic - according to smolt, we're at 54.8% of systems with SELinux
enforcing (notwithstanding that smolt is obviously not an
authoritative source of data, simply putting a stake in the ground
here).

Also, such an item would require exposure and testing.  Feature freeze
for Fedora 11 is under a week away.

While it's useful to me for shows and whatnot when I want to leave my
computer for anyone to play around with, I fail to see the general use
case for such a thing.