Fedora desktop spin size issues, update

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:49:25 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag, den 12.07.2009, 20:26 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 23:01 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Matthias Clasen<mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > So, I think both of these are excellent ideas that we should pursue.
> > > Targetting a 1GB usb stick as the primary medium would probably allow us
> > > to include OpenOffice (with some subset of languages), in addition to
> > > adding content.
> > >

> > And this brings me to the question: does anyone know how Ubuntu manage
> > to squeeze it in the LiveCD?
>
> By excluding languages, I believe.

And by packaging smarter: They make more use of sub-packages, use more
fine grained dependencies and
things are smaller in general. I. e. when I wanted to do a minimal
version of the LXDE Live-CD, I didn't manage to get smaller than 480 MB.
Same with Debian/Ubuntu was only 280 MB.

Regards,
Christoph