xguest in the live cd

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 13:40:06 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, March 10 2009, Matthias Clasen said:
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 06:46 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > It won't be that useful as a live cd as such but since we are
> > recommending the desktop live cd as the primary point of entry for new
> > users at http://get.fedoraproject.org/, it would be quite useful for
> > desktop users once people use the live cd to install them to their hard
> > disk, I think.
>
> Fair enough. I'm sure people will bitch about this poking unasked wholes
> in their system security.
>
> What do others think ?

I think making xguest more accessible is a Good Thing (tm) and that
having it in the live images/installed by default is a part of that.
But the other part is perhaps the "how do I make it easy to turn off" --
right now, that involves removing the package afaik.  Having it be an
easy "turn off the account in system-config-users[1]" would probably
make it even more awesome.

That said, let's put it in the beta and see what more people think :-)
Worst case is we get some xguest testing with the beta (which isn't bad
either)

Jeremy

[1] Or whatever tool we're saying is used for graphically
adding/removing users today :)