Desktop Live DVD: diff

Lars Herrmann herrmann at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 20:58:45 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 05.11.2009, 21:50 +0100 schrieb drago01:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Lars Herrmann <herrmann at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> The biggest gap in terms of 'complete-out-of-the-box' is OpenOffice.
> >> Including that brings us up to around 850M or so.
> >
> > But isn't this just because of the 3 million language packages
> > provided ? Could the size kept small by providing uni-language or
> > language-group spins ?
> >
> > Just a thought
>
> Asking users to install random language packs isn't a good user
> experience, and if the only reason for that is "we still don't
> acknowledge that we are in the 21st century ...."

The point is that it in fact *is* annoying that a significant chunk of
space goes to totally irrelevant packages. I am typically installing 3
languages on my system and I am sure this represents a tiny fraction of
the user base. North of 90% will never ever use more than one language.
And they will know which one they need prior to downloading ;)

Having a button in the distro to "add a language" is a useful feature
anyway - it's a bit of a pain today if you want to add a language later
and have to find out which packages to add. Same goes for removing.

But I'm not aware of all implications of course ...

Lars