Is it, or isn't it?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 17:48:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 12:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> http://identi.ca/notice/13932136
>
> Matthias, Jon, et al., I'm interested in your take on the above, so I
> can authentically characterize the work you've done on notification
> theming.

But yeah, the Growl notification system for Mac OS X has had
notification windows like this since 2005 - maybe earlier.

Smoke notification style, bottom of http://growl.info/screenshots.php

May '05: Growl 0.7 adds a mouseover effect for Smoke:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24638&vid=206464&mode=info
Jan '07: 3rd-party screenshots show it in wide use, e.g.:
http://www.tribler.org/trac/wiki/Growl
Dec '08: Initial design discussions of Ubuntu NotifyOSD
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253
Feb '09: NotifyOSD wiki page created
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD?action=recall&rev=1

At this point it's old enough to almost be a visual cliché. But if
someone wants to insist on giving credit for the design that's where I'd
think the credit might be due.

-w