upwards and onwards

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Nov 13 16:06:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> - Drop the CD size limitation and target a larger usb stick. We have
> discussed this in the past. The main motivation for this is that we have
> to fight every release cycle to make things fit on a CD, and we don't
> have room to include our default office suite or example content.

So...let me counter-propose this one with a multi-pronged solution:

* Continue trimming the default install.  Adam did some work on
removing Perl (where were we on that)?  The base comps group has grown
all sorts of arbitrary stuff.
* Include a PackageKit "Complete your installation" hook post-install
which does "yum groupinstall @gnome-desktop"
* Elevate the livecd inside Fedora to be more of a primary product; if
someone uploads a package which takes significantly more space, we ask
them to revert or fix

And in addition to these, we generate a 2GB sized "full" install
(hopefully @gnome-desktop fits in 2G...) which could also go on a 3+GB
USB key or a DVD.  This image is spun as the "Full" installer.

> - Include OpenOffice instead of abiword. OpenOffice is the premier open
> source office suite, and abiword is on the current live CD purely for
> size reasons.

So in the CD case, this would turn into "no openoffice or abiword"
most likely.  Practically speaking, it's always made very little sense
to ship any app which saves important data to the local filesystem on
a live CD.    So the intent of this CD image is actually for
installation (and recovery scenarios).

> Beyond these organizational changes to the live image, I think a focus
> of our feature work for F13 will be around software installation and
> updates. Some of our thoughts for how installation and updates should
> ideally behave can be found on the wiki:
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards/UpdateExperience
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/InstallExperience

Yeah.

> For application installation, Martin Bacovsky has already started
> working on an online application database that is tied to pkgdb:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-October/msg01083.html

We should be thinking about how this UI interacts with the
Administration->Add/Remove.