We can make fedora easier

Tareq Al Jurf taljurf at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 18 07:58:42 UTC 2009

2009/11/18 Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos at gmail.com>

> 2009/11/17 William Jon McCann <william.jon.mccann at gmail.com>:
> > On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Tareq Al Jurf
> > <taljurf at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >> I think that we should change somethings in fedora that would make it
> >> easier.
> >> Things that whenever a new person starts fedora for the first time would
> >> change them.
> >> For example whenever i start fedora for the first time i change the
> behavior
> >> of the folders and make them open in browser
> >> can we make that default? Because i think most people do that.
> >
> > Yes, I agree.
>
> I prefer spatial, but there's one thing I miss from browser mode: the
> places sidebar. It's just very handy to be able to open and drag
> things into your devices/bookmarks.

In spitial mode don't you feel that it's annoying to open each folder in a
new window?
If we could make that optional, I mean to be able to use spitial mode with a
new option which enables you to open folders in the same window. And make
the default mode is to open folders in the same window.

> But changing completely to full browser mode without rethinking that
> interface is not a good move IMHO. Browser windows feel too clunky
> with all those buttons in *two* toolbars. There were some mockups on
> planet Gnome that looked nice and maybe it could be interesting to
> play with them, basically simplifying the interface.

> For instance, the places sidebar is (to me) clearly desirable to have
> there all the time in spatial mode. But the dropdown to choose the
> other sidebars could be eliminated. Maybe the tree sidebar could be
> the default for browser mode[1]? All the others are better provided
> either in a dynamically created right sidebar or elsewhere (notes and
> emblems are already in each item's preferences).

It would be great if we can modify the spatial mode, can we (since im not a
programmer)

And of course, all this should be judged with the way gnome-shell
> works and how it provides (or doesn't) easy access to the relevant
> places in the filesystem.

Of course, if someone has any idea about this please inform us

> Rui
>
> [1] And still, users which crave for the Windows Explorer tree view
> will feel disappointed I think...
>
> --

Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador