Fedora 12 Three-clicks Experience

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 17:23:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:26 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:

> While I did mention the not-default sub-pixel, in fact, all the fonts
> look poorer in contrast to other distributions even when comparing
> sub-pixel to sub-pixel. And while font weighting can be quite
> subjective as you mention, the font hinting and kerning for the
> default desktop UI is just algorithmicly wrong. Look at "About this
> Computer" in the System menu. "b" has a giant loop while the adjacent
> "o" is 3/4's of b's width. There are, of course, examples all over the
> place of these hinting issues. In some cases, vertical lines fail to
> weight to an integer position resulting one side or the other having
> additional aliasing. Some fonts appear to be affected by this
> shortcoming more than others.

I can't argue with that as I don't have a default-configuration
reference handy, but I'm using stock Fedora freetype - not freeworld -
and my fonts don't look like that:

http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/fonts.png

that's using subpixel smoothing, full hinting, 96dpi resolution (which
is actually 'wrong' for my screen, but oh well) and RGB subpixel
ordering (varies by monitor, of course).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey