polkit-gnome-authorization missing

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Oct 18 11:55:14 UTC 2009

On 10/17/2009 06:19 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/17/2009 09:41 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:24 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This GUI tool seems to have been lost in the transition to PolicKit-1.
>>> Is there a plan on getting it back? It was quite convenient.  If not,
>>> what is the recommended method?
>>
>> We don't plan to bring a ui like that back. If you need to tweak policy,
>> the local authority uses a simple file-based configuration, see
>> pklocalauthority(8). Medium-term, we want to have a simple group-based
>> configuration that will be accessible via some ui, see the
>> polkit-desktop-policy package for the groundwork.
>
> To help me understand this better, can you give me a example? Let's say
> I want to tweak PackageKit's policy to not ask for root password even
> when untrusted packages are being installed, how do I go about doing that?

So, supposedly, here's what I would configure if only I was able to
verify the configuration file with polkit-config-file-validate (it's
linked against libpolkit.so.2 which is not available in Rawhide[1]). I
would put it in
/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/20-org.d/10-packagekit-policy.conf.

==
[PackageKit User Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:employees
Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install;
     org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-network-proxy-configure;
     org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh;
     org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update
ResultAny=yes

[PackageKit Sysadmin Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:sysadmin-local
Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-install-untrusted
ResultAny=yes
==

I'm not sure what the ResultAny does, and the pklocalauthority(8) man
page doesn't clarify:

"""
        ResultActive
            (...)

        ResultInactive
            (...)

        ResultAny
            Like ResultActive but instead applies to any subject.
"""

What is "any subject"? Both Active and Inactive? Then why not require
both to be set and eliminate this variable? Is anything other then
Active and Inactive included in Any?

"""
        All keys specified above are required except that only at least
one of RequireAny, RequireInactive and RequireActive is present. The
ReturnValue key is optional.
"""

What does Require* have to do with Result* exactly?

-- Jeroen

[1] $ polkit-config-file-validate ~/tmp/10-packagekit-policy.conf
polkit-config-file-validate: error while loading shared libraries:
libpolkit.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ yum whatprovides "*/libpolkit.so.2*"
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
  * fedora-11-development: www.kanarip.com
  * fedora-11-rpmfusion-free-development: rpmfusion.famillecollet.com
  * fedora-11-rpmfusion-nonfree-development: rpmfusion.famillecollet.com
fedora-11-gdbm/filelists_db

                                     |  39 kB     00:00
fedora-11-rpmfusion-free-development/filelists_db

                                     | 370 kB     00:01
fedora-11-rpmfusion-nonfree-development/filelists_db

                                     |  64 kB     00:00
fedora-11-ruby/filelists_db

                                     |  587 B     00:00
No Matches found