Some recent changes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 20 13:31:52 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 12:54 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Since some folks have wondered, here is a list of some recent changes we
> have done to the panel configuration in the desktop spin:
>
> - Gnote has been moved to the left, with the other launchers, the user
> switcher has been moved to the far right and the show desktop button has
> been removed.
>
> - We have added padding between objects on the panel. If you don't like
> this for some reason, you can remove it by
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel/padding 0
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel/padding 0
>
> - We have added padding between status icons in the notification area.
> If you like your icons close to each other, use
> gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/applets/systray/prefs/padding 0
>
> - 'Standard' status icons are now put in a fixed order on the right,
> while other icons are placed to the left. This means that your volume
> control, network, battery, bluetooth indicators will no longer jump
> around as icons come and go.
>
> - The clock applet now has a default location, since this feature is
> much easier to grasp if there is an initial location.

Those changes propably explains why the top and bottom panel went
haywire after I hooked my laptop up to my 43" 1920x1080 LCD TV running
f12 beta and switch the output to the tv.  will test that and disable
those *new* features to narrow it down what causes panels to go berserk
and file a report. It would be good if there's external monitor and dual
or more monitor tests added to the gnome desktop test days this is not
the first and probably not the last the panels go haywire when changing
resolution and or switching between display's.  For instance you no
longer seem to be able to move those panels around screens in dual
monitor setup ( thou you can move application between screens ) in F11.

JBG