Some recent changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 17:33:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 17:20 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Btw these changes only affect fresh installations right?
>
> End users who have spent hours, day's even last 6 month to configured
> their Gnome desktop the way they want, their configuration wont get
> overwritten during upgrade?
>
> If it does what exactly gets overwritten during upgrades (
> settings/configurations )?

That was mentioned earlier in the thread. The answer is 'it depends'.
The change will affect existing user accounts if they're still just
using the system-wide defaults - i.e. if the desired configuration
hasn't been explicitly set in their own gconf settings somehow. I'm not
sure exactly which operations would cause these particular settings
('show desktop icon presence' and 'number of workspaces') to be
explicitly written to a user's gconf configuration. Obviously changing
them would, but I'm not sure if - say - you make some _other_
configuration change to your panel but don't explicitly do anything
about _these_ settings, they would be written in there. Matthias may be
able to expand on that.

But yes, those two changes are certainly going to affect some existing
user accounts. The padding changes will affect everyone, AIUI.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey