Some recent changes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 20 17:54:31 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 05:33 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> As I said upthread, defaults are overwritten by package updates.
>
> If you have never changed anything on your desktop, you will receive the
> changed defaults. If you have spent hours customizing every aspect of
> your desktop, those changes are in your personal GConf database and will
> not be overwritten by a package update.
>
> The situation is a bit different for the padding changes, since we have
> added new GConf keys here that did not exist before. Therefore, nobody
> has an explict value of 0 in their personal GConf database, and
> everybody will get the padding.

Does there exist an export/import tool for gconf database so that users
that would want to keep the old/their settings can use to export them
then just simply import it after upgrade/fresh install. That would keep
them happy and you guy's could introduce new changes targeted at new to
linux audience with less hassle..

If such an tool does not exists what's the recommended way of backing up
system wide/personal gconf databases so we can document that somewhere..

JBG