Some recent changes

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 18:19:05 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen said the following on 10/20/2009 10:58 AM Pacific Time:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 10:47 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>>  so again I just can't
>> quite see why Matthias seems to be saying it wasn't possible to make
>> these changes earlier in the cycle. I just genuinely can't see why
>> that's the case.
>
> It did not happen earlier for the mere reason that none of us was in
> fulltime polish mode back then, so nobody took the time to sit down and
> look at the panel configuration and consider possible improvements back
> then.

Who is "us"?  Where does the desktop team, SIG, or whoever "us" is
discuss and decide things like this?  What meetings or other gatherings
can concerned community members attend in the future to participate in
these decisions?

I really do appreciate the fact that it was announced what was decided
to the list, but I am having a hard time seeing how other people can be
part of the decision process in the future.  This is particularly
important and potentially troubling if the Desktop LiveCD will be
Fedora's default offering on the download page, but yet the ability to
participate in that process is unclear.

I'm not advocating that every decision that the "desktop people" (I
still don't know what to call you :-) must have feedback and input from
everyone.

I am advocating that just like the Fedora Board and other bodies that
make decisions in Fedora, the process is understood and there is a
pathway to becoming a decision maker or participating in the
process--whether it be running for election or becoming a regular
participant in the meetings that are held.

Am I coming at this the wrong way? Is simply up to the package
maintainer to make decisions like this on their own?  I could see that
as a possible valid argument, but would also wonder if that is best way
to decide things like this.

Thanks,
John