UI Discussion

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:34:02 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
>> > <mccann> oh
>> > <mccann> we should probably ditch the "stretch icon" option
>> > <mccann> not even close to common enough to be there
>> > <mclasen> thats an old eazel-era feature
>> > <mclasen> from when nautilus was all about zooming in for more details
>> > <mccann> yeah it is silly
>> > * mclasen remembers fixing that up at some point
>> > <mclasen> but I agree that it should probably go
>>
>> To focus on one thing:  I actually use this option quite often.
>
> I don't use it often but whenever I work at my customers I see a lot of
> them are using this feature.
>
>> This is why getting
>> feedback from users is important.
>
> Who cares for feedback? The so called desktop team obviously not.

Look, things evolve. GNOME is full of little unprofessional details
like this. I, FWIW, wish that these things get axed for GNOME 3. Yes,
there will be "regressions".

And ultimately, those who *do* the work make things go forward. And
no, I don't agree that you have to announce all the things that you're
going to go. Sometimes, you just do. Else, this all crumbles under the
weight of a highly bureaucratised design by committee which sucks up
all energy in the *process* preventing the actual production of
*content*.

If you want to have a say on things, work for it. Like Linus said
once, "talk is cheap".

Hope you liked my feedback.

Rui