Interested in helping improve the Fedora desktop experience?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 18:37:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 18:22 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > As Colin says, Fedora's general philosophy is and has historically been
> > that it's more important to fix the bugs than to worry about temporary
> > bodges and workarounds for the immediate experience.
>
> Well, sort of.  I don't think it's wrong to add a workaround or
> warning box in some situations even it's ugly; more what I'm saying in
> this particular case of graphics drivers is the payoff to engineering
> time ratio is really small.

Yeah, it's always a trade-off. For instance, we did set up the Xorg
auto-detection routines in F11 to use vesa rather than nouveau for a few
chips which we knew there was no chance we'd be able to support properly
during the F11 cycle.

As you say, it'd be more accurate to say that Fedora places the bar for
considering it sensible to build workarounds / warning boxes and so on
fairly high.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey