Tomorrows polish

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 00:25:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 19:57 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:30:09 -0700, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 18:18 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> You may need to take of the pink glasses ? :-)
> >
> > I *really* hope everyone working on this is using a properly
> > colour-calibrated display?
>
> It looks like some kind of calibration on my other laptop is in order.
> It is clearly grey on this laptop (not blue either though.) But, I'm not
> sure how to calibrate it. :(
>
> Um, if all my designs are a little too pink in the future, it's not the
> Hello Kitty thing, really!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_color_management looks like a decent
reference. Note that doing really reliable calibration requires some
hardware. Perhaps getting a single colorimeter to pass around all the
people within Fedora who are likely to be messing with colors would not
be a bad idea.

You can do rough ballpark calibration without hardware, and how to do it
is pretty well detailed in this Dan's Data post:

http://www.dansdata.com/spyder.htm

under the heading 'Alternatives'.

Note that this is a case of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do, because my two
monitors and laptop are all cheerfully different from each other. But
then, I don't do any graphic design =). For those who are working with
colors, having a properly-calibrated display is pretty key.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey