tooltip changes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:46:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 09:06 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Themes still have approximately the same amount of influence on tooltip
> rendering than before; they can control the color and the padding.
Nope, they do not. We could have drawn it ourselves completely -- i.e.
with gradients, different kinds of borders, ... Control over color and
padding just isn't enough.

> Doing the shape and translucency in the theme engine is not really
> practical. I have considered adding a style property to turn it off.
Yeah, that's true but that's because the design is broken, that's why we
have hacks in themes to support wider range of rounded corners for
entries and for progress bars (and have no rounded corners for
tooltips). Really, I'd be much more happy if you (speaking in general
second person) would work on fixing the design for gtk3 (so that we
could actually have the engines/themes draw on *transparent* canvas)
than working on e.g. gnome-shell... I don't think that rounded corners
for tooltips are that much needed to disallow engines drawing the
tooltips themselves. Er... sorry for the slight off-topic, I just
couldn't help it :(

> Maybe I should do that.
That would be nice :-)

Martin