Gwibber by default?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Apr 6 15:14:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Luke Macken <lmacken at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think instead of trying to replace Gwibber, we should take a good hard
> look at their (Ubuntu's) desktop-couch vision, and really see if it is
> something we want to leverage (as they are putting a lot of resources
> into it).  If not, we should patch this requirement out of Gwibber,
> because afaik, it isn't using the couchdb for anything at the moment.

As Bill says, Gwibber uses desktop-couch to as a backend database.
What really makes desktop-couch compelling though is the database
pairing and replication support that it offers.  Right now desktop
pairing and replication doesn't work "out of the box" in Fedora
because you either need to open up some firewall ports or you need to
add some code to connect to Canonical's "Ubuntu One" cloud service
(which is another discussion in itself).

--
Jeff Ollie